The Council is established in accordance with the Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006. The functions of the Parent Council are:
- To work in partnership with the school staff to create a welcoming school which is inclusive for adults who care for our children and young people.
- To promote partnership between the school, its pupils and all its parents.
- To develop and engage in activities which support the education and the welfare of the pupils.
- To identify and represent the views of the education provided by the school and other matters affecting the education and welfare of the pupils.
- To ascertain the views of the parent forum and report these to the Head Teacher and the Education Department.
- To support school events and fundraising.
The membership will be a minimum of 7 parents of children attending the school.
Any parent of a child at the school can volunteer to be a member of the Parent Council. In the event that the number of volunteers exceeds the number of places set out in the constitution, members will be selected by drawing lots. Anyone not selected to be a member of the Parent Council may be offered the opportunity to be part of any sub-groups set up by the Council.
Parents can also be nominated by other parents to join the Parent Council.
Parents will be a member of the Parent Council for a period of 3 years, or until a parent’s youngest child leaves the school, or until a member gives notice of resigning their position.
The Parent Council will co-opt up to 6 members, to assist it with carrying out its functions. Co-opted members could include school staff both teaching and non-teaching. In denominational schools one such co-opted member must be nominated by the Church or denominational body in whose interest the school is conducted.
The number of parent members on the Council must always be greater than the number of co-opted members.
The Council may appoint such special or standing committees as it deems necessary and will determine their terms of reference, powers, duration, and composition. All proceedings of such special committees will be reported to the Council.
PARENT COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Mr R Thomson - Chairperson
- Mrs L Clark - Vice Chairperson
- Mr R McAskill
- Mr D Kerr
- Mrs J Munro
- Mrs D Gairns
If you would like to volunteer to become a member of the Parent Council please contact Lesley Storey in the school office on 01475 715104 or email her on email@example.com